video

Whole 30 Dinner In A Crock Pot & Julie’s Introduction To The Acorn Squash

We made it through day three of the Whole 30 plan and day two of working out at Ed’s Gym. The gym is kicking my butt. And the kids are starting to feel some of the side effects of cutting all the sugar and carbs out, but are being troopers about trying new foods. We have found that their lunch for school is the most challenging meal because they can’t have anything they were taking before. Julie is being very creative and they are adjusting to no more sandwiches. Both turned down cookies from friends at lunch today – a pretty big deal for a 12 and 14 year old.

Julie is also experimenting with new foods and trying to balance the rest of everyday life with learning new ways of cooking.  Yesterday she had a board meeting in the evening and I had my work-out scheduled for 6:00, which meant neither of us would be here for dinner with the kids and grandma. She decided to try a new recipe from Sarah Fragoso that she found in her Everyday Paleo cookbook. It was a huge hit! The kids were raving about it  and our daughter actually had seconds with me when I got home. Who knew they would love acorn sqaush? They even asked if we could make it again. And who knew that you could make a Whole 30 dinner in a crock pot?

Here’s a short video of Julie as she prepped dinner for last night.

What new food have you tried recently that you didn’t even know existed before?

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the products and services mentioned in the post above may have been received free of charge for review and/or promotional purposes, and some of the links posted may have been "affiliate links". This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I may receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, my reviews are based on my honest opinions and I will only recommend those products or services that I use personally and believe will be of value to my readers. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions's 16 CFR, Part 225: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
About jeffabel

Comments

1. Kayla says:

Wow. How did I never think of dicing onions in the food processor? You’ve just saved me SO MUCH TIME. Thank you Julie!

• Julie Abel says:

Kayla- I even ended up going out to Walmart and purchasing one of the small mini choppers. It has saved GOBS of time. Worth every bit of the $17 I paid for it.

2. Jess says:

I’m with you on the “I’d heard of it but never bought it before”, but for me it was spaghetti squash. I’d always read that you can use it in place of noodles and thought “Yeah RIGHT.” Well, you know? It’s delicious! To make matters worse, I’d been vegetarian for 18 years and STILL hadn’t tried it. :) If you haven’t yet, you should. :) I’m enjoying the videos you guys make and am right there with you on this journey. It’s my first Whole30 too. Heck, a month ago I’d never even heard of it. I started January 1 and everything they say is true – less puffiness, bloating, hunger, etc. Keep up the good work you guys. :)

3. Shelly says:

Going to try this! Thanks!

4. Renee says:

Loved this video – so quick and easy I will have to try it. I just had acorn squash for the first time, too, but baked it in the oven. I even baked the seeds like you would pumpkin seeds and they were really good. I have a spaghetti squash sitting on my counter. Trader Joe’s has a Whole30 compliant marinara I’m going to try with some sausage and ground pork mixed it, then poured over the spaghetti squash later this week. Tonight is grilled pork chops, sauteed southern greens with pork back (couldn’t find bacon without sugar, but this looks like a slab of bacon and just has pork and salt), roasted butternut squash, and a salad with orange, fennel, and thinly sliced red onion. Glad to have found your website and to be sharing this journey with you!

• Julie Abel says:

Renee glad it helped you out! I have to be honest. Spaghetti is one of my absolute favorite meals ever. I actually put off trying spaghetti squash until later because I didn’t want it to be too much of a let down for me. I will keep you posted to see how it goes. Thanks for coming around here today and hanging out. It is going to be a wild ride for our whole family for sure! Best of luck to you.

5. Renee says:

My husband, daughter, and I loved the spaghetti squash dish so much there were no leftovers. I sautéed the sausage with onions, mushrooms, and a bag of spinach from Trader Joe’s. I cooked the spaghetti squash in the microwave for about 10 minutes. The whole thing took about 15 minutes to prepare. It will become a regular. How was the beef and acorn squash dish? I’m trying to figure out some meals to have precooked for my husband while I’m on a business trip this week so he’ll stay with it. What I’m going to eat is a whole other story but I’m commuted to this 100% so I’ll figure it out.